Hey, everyone. Scott here. Well, this is it, post zero. You’d be surprised, or maybe not, how many people do this, but it’s my turn. Years ago, long before I became an elderly old man, I used to buy CDs. In all honestly, I still do — I just bought a couple last week; I’d much rather have them than a bunch of files. Somewhere along the way, my wife and I combined our collections (there’s commitment), giving us something like 1,200 CDs in all. Years, or decades, in some cases, have gone by without the wonderful glow of a laser hitting some of these CDs. Times have changed. I’ve changed. Maybe it’s time to get rid of some of them, maybe not. I’m going to listen to every CD I own, and you’re going to read all about it!
I have a couple of rules, or maybe they’re guidelines, that I’ve set up for myself. In no particular order:
- The boring: I’m going to go more or less alphabetically by artist. Yeah, I know. We’re looking at over 1,000 CDs, so this is the easiest way. Within each artist, no promises about the order, though. Chronologically would be most reasonable, but I’m not sure I’ll bother.
- This is only going to cover our CDs. I have mp3s everywhere, but that just becomes too much to deal with. So, it’s just CDs. This makes sense because part of the idea here is to decide whether or not to get rid of some of them.
- I’ll probably just stick to full albums, not singles or EPs, but I don’t know about that yet. I’ll see how I feel about that.
- If I have more than one copy of a CD, I’m not going to listen to each copy. Why do you need to read about me listening to Calexico’s Hot Rail, and then read about it again the next day? If one copy is the regular version, and one copy is the super-deluxe version, I’ll go for the super-deluxe version.
- If this ever stops being fun — which, if you know what’s ahead, could be the very first CD — I can stop at any time.
- Sometimes my wife will stop in and do the writing, too. Don’t worry. She’s okay. I’ll let her introduce herself when she’s ready.
I’m not a music writer, so these won’t be the best reviews you’ve read. Let me know what you think. This is just for fun. Let’s talk. Let’s have some fun.
Thanks for stopping by!